"Lebensland Kärnten" e-Bikes
e-Bikes have ushered in a new era in biking. They look good and have several advantages over conventional bikes. Supported by an electric motor, e-Bike riders can travel long distances and climb steep inclines with ease.
The target audience for e-Bikes is comprised of three major groups:
- e-Bikes are ideal commuter vehicles, particularly for people who need to get to and from the closest bus or train station in a quick and comfortable way
- e-Bikes are suitable for professionals working in the inner city, who want to reach their office quickly, easily, and without having to worry about parking
- e-Bikes are a great choice for recreational bikers, allowing them to go on longer rides, and to travel over more hilly terrain than they could on a regular bike
On first sight, one barely notices that e-Bikes are equipped with an electric motor and battery. Mounted on the wheel hub or the bottom bracket, these light and compact motors are remarkably powerful. Likewise, the batteries are designed to conform to the bike's frame, adding little bulk to the bike.
For a list of dealers in Carinthia that sell e-Bikes, go here.
Based on drive train design, one can distinguish three types of e-Bikes:
- The self-propelled e-Bike
- The power-on-demand e-Bike (Pedelec)
- Various "hybrid" e-Bike models, combining aspects of the above variants
By law, all vehicles powered by electric motors that are rated at 600W or less, and that can go no faster than 25 km/h (self-propelled, on level ground) can be registered as e-Bikes in Austria. Once registered, the legal framework for conventional bicycles and e-Bikes is identical.
In terms of design, one can distinguish between two basic types of e-Bikes: bicycle-like and non-bicycle-like e-Bikes. The latter category includes vehicles like Segways, e-Quads, golf cars, and others.
Special electric conversion kits allow the conversion of any conventional bicycle into an e-Bike.
All relevant facts and specifications, as well as buying advice, cost simulation data, and safety information can be found in our new e-Book entitled "Mit e-Scootern und e-Bikes in die Zukunft -- Alles, was Sie schon immer über elektrisch betriebene Zweiräder wissen wollten" (German only).